Tuesday, May 3, 2016

.Mommin'.



Mother's Day!!!! I love it. Because I am a mother. And I have a mother.  Easy enough.

                Mother's day became so special to me when I became a Mom for obvious reasons, but also, I never wanted more to show appreciation to  my Mom and all  the mom's in my life than after I was one. I joined the club. I knew what it was about. The unconditional love. The mother's touch. The mother's heart. Man, it is good stuff. I never knew I could shed literal tears because I LOVED someone so much. I thought I was crazy. Until, I remembered that's how my mom felt.

                I never knew my heart could physically and literally HURT because my baby's did. But, I can remember my mom doing the same thing.

                My kiddo says the things I say, acts the way I act, sings the songs I sing, and most of the time can be found attached to me. I can remember being the same way when I was his age.

                He looks to me for encouragement, and he's getting old enough to make his own decisions. He looks to me for approval and he knows when I wouldn't give it. Sometimes he tries anyway. Most of the time he would rather make a good decision than suffer consequences, and that makes his momma's heart proud.  Let's just be real though, mommin' is hard. It just is. It was hard for  my mom, it's hard for me, it'll be hard for all the momma's to be. It's harder than middle school drama, harder than high school hormones, harder than college finals, harder than marriage and harder than divorce.  (and that's just stuff I can personally compare it to)

                I look at my seven year old and think to myself, more than ever, that I'm raising a husband, a dad, a man of God, and if that doesn't just hit you right in the " momma feels" , I don' t know what will. I want to raise a man that loves Jesus more than his family. More than his momma. More than his wife. More than his kids. Is there an easy button, yet?  I want to raise a man that  has self-respect,  that respects women, that has a heart for the less fortunate, for the community. I want to raise a leader. I want him to go against the odds if it means standing up for what he believes in. I want him to know how to be successful, to have good work ethic, and to provide for his family. I want him to have the strength of a lion and the gentleness of a lamb.
                                                     

                Then, I want to raise a son who is athletic, musically inclined, well educated, can change a flat tire, fix a car, build a house, shoot with the accuracy of a sniper, hunt, fish, catch rats, kill spiders and snakes, cook, clean  and travel to the moon.... because his family might "need" him to be all these things one day. Realistic? Probably not. But this momma heart wants EVERYTHING for him.

                     I have big plans, as you can see. Then, everyday life hits. Every. Single. Day. I'm picking out clothes, making him brush his teeth and comb his hair, then assuring him over and over that his outfit and hair is "cool". I'm stepping on Lego's and trying to keep my "cool", because he's watching and doing everything I do .  I'm fighting through homework, because "I did this at school, why do I have to do it at home?" I'm fighting through bath time because, "I took one yesterday isn't that good enough?" Breakfast time. Dinner time. Play time. Bed time.

Then, he comes home from school one day and tells me he's going to unload the dishwasher because he knows I've been busy, and that he gave a boy at school money for "something" because he forgot his, and he asks if we can watch movie on the couch together. My heart.  (All good husband skills, right?)

I've  decided that many great people were raised by moms who thought they were subpar, not getting the job done, and failing daily. You know,  there's a  saying, "there's no way to be perfect mom, but many ways to be a good one".  I know I can't teach my son EVERYTHING, but there's one thing I know that I can do. I can love the heck out of that kid. I can embrace day to day life, and know that he's learning by watching me and pray that what he's learning from me is exactly what he needs.

So to my MOM, good job !!!!!! In my opinion anyway.  Thank you for EVRYTHING! And to my momma friends,  Happy Mother's Day!!!!!! You are doing  a good job, even when it feels like you're grinding the gears of day to day mommin'.
 
  Oh, and this is the newest Master UnPlanned apparel.. Mom shirts. It's the hardest and most rewarding job of my life. Man, I love being a mom.
                                                                 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment